Earlier after I got off work(unpaid internship) I ran to the grocery store for ONE thing for another dinner this week. I ended up buying $30 worth of stuff and running to another grocery store for something else. So addicting! This might be a good thing though. I was going to pick up one beer to batter and saute some fish(I don’t think I’ve ever done this, I wanted the fish tacos to be done right! )…and then while I am trying beers(pumpkin), I looked at the large selection of beer at Kroger. A blueberry beer caught my eye. Man, that sounded good! Today is a nice warm fall day. When I saw it also had 8% alcohol volume, that stuff was sold! All I can say is…I am not a beer drinker, as you know. And this stuff is soooooooooo good, I can tell you it will be purchased again and again. It actually tastes better than the wine I drink. Really, I mean, I will almost offer a refund to anyone that purchases this and does not like it (says the unemployed one). This stuff is downright, addicting and so flavorful. In fact, I might go top great lengths of hiding it from my husband in the hopes he forgets about it so I can have it all to myself. Try it, you will not be disappointed. I drank it like water after a long run in 120 degree heat in Arizona. 🙂 what?!
Speaking of runs. Yesterday, was an awesome day. I was excited since I found out I have been running close to 4 miles this whole time, for months now, instead of the estimated 3. So yesterday I decided to push myself to see what I could do. Also, a friend and I were thinking about doing a Halloween 10k this weekend. (But, alas, it was decided against because we are both broke:( But we are running Saturday morning regardless). So, anyways, guess how long my run was? ? ? 5.5 miles. (I think:) I still need that Garmin, but I got the actual stats off the internet and added. That’s the most I’ve ever gone outside and it felt so great. It was a gorgeous day and I run best in the morning with just coffee and some peanut butter in my stomach before I head out. If I go later in the afternoon, I need a full on meal for energy. The only thing I noticed is that my knees began to hurt, something that’s never happened before. And, they were sore the next day, but now they feel fine. I’m ready for a similar run tomorrow morning. Until then, enjoy some fish taco photos!
Like I said, I went to the store for ‘one’ thing, and then saw fish, and thought-fish tacos! Went home and sautéed them in a beer batter and made a white sauce to die for. I mean, they don’t need to be submerged and fried in oil, just cooked with a crisp crust. So, no I did not fry them and I did not use vegetable oil. This was so freakin’ good, I can’t wait to eat them again tomorrow.
White Sauce: I made first, so flavors would have time to marinate. (like they really need it- mayo and lime juice!?)
- 1 container of greek yogurt-plain (around 1 cup)
- 2 average spoons of mayo (I really don’t like using a lot of mayo- yuck)
- Juice of one juicy lime
- 1 1/2 t capers, minced (I had some left over from caper chicken!)
- 1 1/2 t fresh dill, chopped
- 1 t fresh oregano
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- Mix everything in a little bowl!
Beer Batter the fish (Something I have never done before)
- 1/2 c flour
- 1 t cornstarch
- 1 egg
- a good pinch of kosher salt
- about a 1/2 c beer (Used Bud light)
- Mix together in a bowl
FISH and Assemble
- Heat a good amount of olive oil in pan, maybe several pats of butter if you feel inclined, and I did use a couple T of canola oil, there should be very little oil in the pan, just enough to cook the chicken. There is no way you should need to fry it and have anywhere near 1/8 of an inch in the pan. Much less!
- 1+ lb. Tilapia
- Submerge and coat chicken in batter
- Cook on both sides until done, I flipped it several times. Maybe 8-10 on each side, med to med- hi heat.
- I used a bag of mixed cabbage, carrots, etc…
- And put in corn tortilla with sauce! yum!
My plate was really messy looking…we both had three!